Sunday, April 3, 2011

UN staff killed in Afghanistan over an American's ignorance.

Today this feels difficult because there are too many topics I want to write about. Not the least of which is talking about the killing of U.N. staff members over the burning of the Quran. I am outraged over the fact that the preacher who pulled the stunt actually burned the book after being begged not to by many U.S. citizens and even the president of the United States. And I am outraged that the burning of a book caused such uproar. But the Quran is not a simple book to many people (although you could argue that this particular one was just a copy of a copy of a copy and the fact that the preacher had to purchase this book from somewhere was probably more of a support to the religion than anything). In fact Islam is the second most widely accepted religion in the world (right after Christianity). So why do we have to fight?

I don’t mean to bash the wars and I don’t even want to get into 9-11. There are radicals in every religion, including Christianity. I don’t think I have the strength to talk about those people. And I don’t want to get into the similarities and differences between Christianity and Islam, but I will encourage you to take a class before you pass judgment.

What I do mean to say is this: Why can’t was just have respect for each others beliefs? This preacher pulled this stunt because he wanted the kind of reaction that he received. Everyone knows his name, and his church and he proved his little point that “Islam is evil.” But we all know that not all Muslims are like that. I have worked with and for many Islamic people and the people I know are lovely. They are definitely the best customers I have ever had. But we are only going to hear about the bad ones. I fear the same goes for Christians. Who cares about all of the good works we are doing when there are preachers out there burning holy books and priests molesting children?

I just wish we could remember that the actions of some do not represent all. I truly feel as though that preacher has the blood on his hands of those people murdered on Friday.

Yes, this is America and we have free speech. We can say whatever and peacefully protest however we like and we do not have to suffer the consequences of our government. I am eternally grateful for that. But we do have to suffer the consequences of our peers and our God. And for that reason I think we should have respect in everything we do.

P.S. If you do not know what I am talking about, here is a link to an article: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42376051/ns/world_news-south_and_central_asia/

1 comment:

  1. Where's the "like" button when you need it? I love you Dena...I love that you write from your heart, not just so others will say how wonderful you are. You are absolutely, 100% correct...that man did nothing but add fuel to the fire.

    ReplyDelete

Followers